Monday, October 18, 2010

Ahmad's story

"Before the war, I used to feel that Gaza is my second mother. Its ground was the warm chest I could lay on, and its sky was my dreams… without limits. The sea would wash away my worries. But today I feel it’s an exile, I stopped feeling it’s the city of my dreams."

I feel like I’m married with ten kids. I’m scared of life… of everything… of the smallest things… always worried. I feel that all of Gaza is sitting on moving sands. Any madness you can imagine can happen in a second in this place, and a lot of dreams may come true too. It’s a strange city with no logic.

Ahmad – Born 1993- Al Wehda Street


Ahmad is only 17, but experience has made an adult out of him. Instead of worrying about the things that any normal teenager would at his age, he worries about his today. His tomorrow.

Ahmad is not alone in what he is going through. This is the harsh reality of children caught in the midst of armed conflict or living in war zones. The experiences may be different and the degree to which they are affected vary, but the scars and fears are the same - they are shared and are as permanent as a birthmark they have been born with.

Come hear Ahmad's story on the 30th and 31st of October at the Goethe Institute at 7.30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment